Travelers are facing a second day of disruption as Hong Kong International Airport slowly gets back to capacity, following yesterday's mass protest, RTHK reports. Hundreds of flights remain canceled.
But protesters are said to be planning a return to the airport.
Operations resumed early morning, airport authorities said, AFP reported. "We have resumed check-ins," a spokesman for the airport said. The
flight status board at the departures hall showed several flights listed as "boarding soon" with new take-off times listed for others.
Three days of peaceful anti-extradition protests that began on Friday at the airport arrivals hall spilled over into a fourth day following allegations of heavy-handed policing against protesters across Hong Kong. Protesters headed to the airport in droves and the departure hall was also affected, leading the Airport Authority to cancel all flights yesterday afternoon.
The Airport Authority told passengers to check flight information on the airport's website and its HKG My Flight mobile app. According to the app, many departures had been canceled, though some flights to Japan and Australia appeared to be taking off.
Most Cathay Pacific flights appear to have been affected. The airline advised passengers to postpone non-essential travel from Hong Kong and not to head to the airport. It also said in-town check-in services had been suspended.
Cathay said a limited number of flights would be operating for connecting passengers, who are currently in transit at Hong Kong International Airport.